(WXYZ) — The Michigan restaurant industry took a massive hit in March due to the COVID-19 outbreak, losing an estimated $491 million and 72,000 jobs. That's according to a survey from the Michigan Restaurant and Lodging Association.
According to the survey, 84% of restaurant operators say they they their total dollar sales volume from March 1 to March 22 was lower than the same period last year. Nine percent reported higher sales, and seven percent say they were about the same.
When it came to layoffs, 62% of operators said they laid off employees, with 47% anticipating doing more in the next 30 days.
More than half also said they cut employee hours and reduced their hours of operations, at 62% and 61% respectively.
Many places have changed their business to curbside and delivery only, and 44% said they changed to off-premises, while 41% closed all-together.
One of the most jarring reports is that 1% of operators permanently closed their restaurants, but in the next 30 days, 9% anticipate permanently closing.
Additional Coronavirus information and resources:
Click here for a page with resources including a COVID-19 overview from the CDC, details on cases in Michigan, a timeline of Governor Gretchen Whitmer's orders since the outbreak, coronavirus' impact on Southeast Michigan, and links to more information from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, the CDC and the WHO.
View a global coronavirus tracker with data from Johns Hopkins University.
Find out how you can help metro Detroit restaurants struggling during the pandemic.
See all of our Helping Each Other stories.
See complete coverage on our Coronavirus Continuing Coverage page.