(WXYZ) — Michigan Secretary of State branch offices will reopen on Monday, June 1 by appointment only, the state announced on Thursday.
The offices will be able to conduct essential transactions only that are not available online.
“While the offices were closed to the public we conducted more than 3,000 emergency appointments for essential workers and planned and implemented protocols so that we could reopen in a way that ensures the safety of employees and all Michiganders,” said Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson. “Customers can be confident they’ll be able to conduct their business with us safely and efficiently.”
Beginning the week of June 1, all 131 offices will be open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for appointment-only services. Transactions include:
- Driver licenses and state ID transactions that must be done in person
- Title transfers
- Operator, CDL, chauffeur, mechanic and motorcycle testing
- Seasonal commercial vehicle renewal
Brand staff will follow strict healt hand safety protocols including wearing a mask, using desk shields, social distancing and more.
A copy of the department’s reopening preparedness plan can be found here.
Anyone scheduling an appointment or receiving an appointment reminder will also be instructed on how to safely attend their appointment by:
- Arriving at the appointment alone
- Wearing a mask or homemade face covering over their mouth and nose
- Waiting in their vehicle or outside prior to the appointment time and maintaining six feet of distance when announcing themselves and their appointment to staff at the doors
- Following directions on where to stand during the transaction — only stepping forward toward the clerk when providing or retrieving documents
- Cancelling their appointment if they develop symptoms of COVID-19 or come into contact with someone who has COVID-19 within 14 days of the appointment
- Adhering to CDC guidelines [lnks.gd] when in public
The Michigan Department of State will also begin sending updated renewal forms this week, color-coded on the type of transaction needed with streamlined information.
Renewal forms, which will be mailed in redesigned envelopes measuring 9.5 inches by 6 inches, come in six colors:
- Red: Vehicle registration
- Blue: Driver’s license
- Green: State identification card
- Teal: Watercraft
- Gray: Snowmobile
- Purple: Special plate
A sample of the updated renewal forms can be found here. To schedule an appointment visit Michigan.gov/SOS or call 888-SOS-MICH. Advance appointments can be made up to 180 days ahead of time. Same-day appointments become available 24 hours prior to the appointment time.
Additional Coronavirus information and resources:
Click here for a page with resources including a COVID-19 overview from the CDC, details on cases in Michigan, a timeline of Governor Gretchen Whitmer's orders since the outbreak, coronavirus' impact on Southeast Michigan, and links to more information from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, the CDC and the WHO.
View a global coronavirus tracker with data from Johns Hopkins University.
Find out how you can help metro Detroit restaurants struggling during the pandemic.
See all of our Helping Each Other stories.
See complete coverage on our Coronavirus Continuing Coverage page.