OWOSSO, Mich. (WXYZ) — Karl Manke, the 77-year-old Owosso barber who received national attention for reopening his barbershop during Governor Gretchen Whitmer's stay-at-home order, has had both of his licenses reinstated after they were suspended.
Manke reopened his shop in Owosso on May 4, drawing customers from across the state who were inspired by his plea for freedom from a government shutdown.
Additionally, his attorney says Manke is also facing misdemeanor criminal charges in connection to remaining open.
"I am pleased with the orders issued today to reinstate my licenses so I can continue to move forward," Manke said. "I still believe it is high time for all of Michigan to stand up, open up for business, and for all the people in our community to show up in support."
Barbershops and hair salons had been shut down for nearly three months before they reopened on June 15. Michigan was the last state to do so.
Additional Coronavirus information and resources:
Click here for a page with resources including a COVID-19 overview from the CDC, details on cases in Michigan, a timeline of Governor Gretchen Whitmer's orders since the outbreak, coronavirus' impact on Southeast Michigan, and links to more information from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, the CDC and the WHO.
View a global coronavirus tracker with data from Johns Hopkins University.
Find out how you can help metro Detroit restaurants struggling during the pandemic.
See all of our Helping Each Other stories.
See complete coverage on our Coronavirus Continuing Coverage page.