PLYMOUTH, Mich. (WXYZ) — Monday the State of Michigan reported 27 new COVID-19 outbreaks in schools and colleges across the state. Eight of them impact students or staff at schools here in metro Detroit.
It has forced some schools to stop in-person learning temporarily to allow for contact tracing.
Here is a list of metro-Detroit outbreaks newly reported by the state:
In Macomb County:
- Chippewa Valley Schools Administration in Clinton Township
- Indian Hills Elementary in Washington
- Macomb Intermediate School District in Clinton Township
In Wayne County:
- Chapman Elementary School in Rockwood
- University Liggett School in Grosse Pointe Woods
- Shumate Middle School in Gibraltar
- Carlson High School in Rockwood
In Washtenaw County:
- Concordia University in Ann Arbor
Here is a linkto where the state is announcing outbreaks in schools.
Outbreaks do not include all cases of COVID-19 in schools, but rather situations where the virus is believed to have spread at a school. There are still 51 additional ongoing outbreaks in schools statewide, a dozen of them in metro Detroit in Oakland, Macomb, Monroe, Wayne, and Washtenaw Counties.
Still, some parents in districts that are not offering in-person learning are fighting to get their kids back in the classroom.
Parents and students gathered in front of the Plymouth-Canton Community Schools Administrative building on Monday afternoon.
Some 7 Action News spoke to say they are upset that the district started off virtual and they are upset about the plan to return to school in person in phases with a hybrid schedule featuring half-days.
They say they believe not being in school in-person full time poses greater risks to their children’s well being than COVID-19.
“We would like our children to be back in school and we deserve a choice. People who want to stay virtual, I respect that. I understand that. But I feel that as other people are feeling that students are suffering academically, socially, emotionally,” said Adriana Chittaro, a mom of three.
e met with her before the protest as her son Mason attended class online. Her older son Connor said he enjoys the on-line classes, but wants to go back to school.
“I miss seeing my friends and socializing with other kids my age,” said Connor.
“We are committed to getting our students in our safe starts plan back to in-person learning as soon as possible by following our safety and staff protocols,” said Monica Merritt, Superintendent of Schools, as she was speaking during a school board earlier this month.
Merritt said the district plans to return to in-person learning in phases, first bringing back English language learners and students with special needs, then bringing back more students in a hybrid format to allow for social distancing.
The school board has heard from parents on both sides of this issue. The next meeting is Tuesday, September 29 at seven.
Additional Coronavirus information and resources:
Click here for a page with resources including a COVID-19 overview from the CDC, details on cases in Michigan, a timeline of Governor Gretchen Whitmer's orders since the outbreak, coronavirus' impact on Southeast Michigan, and links to more information from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, the CDC and the WHO.
View a global coronavirus tracker with data from Johns Hopkins University.
See complete coverage on our Coronavirus Continuing Coverage page.
Visit our The Rebound Detroit, a place where we are working to help people impacted financially from the coronavirus. We have all the information on everything available to help you through this crisis and how to access it.