(WXYZ) — Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said Friday morning that it's "very unlikely" schools will resume this year.
Speaking to WWJ Newsradio 950, Whitmer said "We are working diligently to come up with a plan to meet the needs of our kids. I think anyone who's watching what is happening globally with this pandemic knows it's probably very unlikely they're going to get back into school before the end of the year."
Earlier this month, as the outbreak was beginning, Whitmer announced that K-12 schools would close, and that closure was extended until at least April 13 under her stay-at-home executive order.
During a press conference on Thursday, the governor said that a plan for teachers and school districts regarding the future could come out next week.
"I cannot unilaterally address the issues around the education of our kids. So we are working. We've already had a lot of meetings with the legislature, with the Michigan Department of Education, with our experts on the front line, superintendents and teachers, to make sure that we have a thoughtful solution," she said Thursday.
Additional Coronavirus information and resources:
Click here for a page with resources including a COVID-19 overview from the CDC, details on cases in Michigan, a timeline of Governor Gretchen Whitmer's orders since the outbreak, coronavirus' impact on Southeast Michigan, and links to more information from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, the CDC and the WHO.
View a global coronavirus tracker with data from Johns Hopkins University.
Find out how you can help metro Detroit restaurants struggling during the pandemic.
See all of our Helping Each Other stories.
See complete coverage on our Coronavirus Continuing Coverage page.