MELVINDALE, Mich. (WXYZ) — A group of Dearborn firefighters will have to stay outside of the fire station until at least Monday after mold issues were discovered this week.
7 Action News has learned the firefighters, who had been staying in trucks, will sleep at the Melvindale Recreation Center while crews continue to clean up mold at the station.
They're staying away from the station for safety reasons.
Fire Station No. 5 is actually owned by the City of Melvindale and is responsible for the maintenance of the station.
What started as a flooding problem turned into a moldy mess, according to the president of the Dearborn firefighters union.
Union President Jeffery Lentz says fire station five flooded two weeks ago on Jan. 9.
He tells 7 Action News that firefighters were sent to other stations temporarily until the flooding was taken care of then brought back. On Wednesday, a cleanup crew discovered mold.
Lentz says there is so much mold in the station – it’s uninhabitable.