Harper Wood Department of Public Safety officers responded to a call of a gas smell coming from a vacant home Wednesday morning.
The report stated the abandoned home had been broken into and a strong smell of gas was present.
Officers arrived to the scene on the 18900 block of Woodside and met DTE crew members who were at the home explosion site on Lennon.
- 3 injured after house explosion in Harper Woods
- Harper Woods home explosion caused by gas leak from stolen furnace, police say
DTE worker entered the home through a broken window to ventilate the home, after recording high levels of gas in the home.
When safe, officers entered the home to find the furnace, hot water heater and dryer had been stolen. The gas line from the dryer was not turned off during the theft, police say.
Officers say the theft is "very similar" to the Sept. 21 explosion incident on Lennon.
DTE is offering a $2,500 reward for information leading to the arrest of possible suspects.
Anytime you smell gas, leave the area immediately and call 911.