The former Michigan State Police trooper who is facing charges in the death of a Detroit 15-year-old boy riding an ATV, had a history of disciplinary issues as a police officer, 7 Action News has learned exclusively.
Documents obtained through the Freedom of Information Act show 10 different incidents in 2009 and 2010 as an officer with the Canton Police Department.
Those issues preceded another 40 instances involving use of force by Trooper Mark Bessner with MSP.
The incidents with Canton police include:
- June 2009 - Citizen complaint of rudeness
- August 2009 - Citizen complaint of racial profiling
- August 2009 - Citizen complaint of rude and dishonest behavior
- August 2009 - Citizen complaint of rudeness
- October 2009 - Citizen complaint of rude and nasty behavior
- February 2010 - Left post for high-speed pursuit without activating lights and sirens. Received reprimand
- April 2010 - Struck a pole while driving and working on computer
- April 2010 - Failed to properly investigate call of woman's attempted overdose, resulting in her needing EMS care. He was suspended one day
- May 2010 - Citizen complaint of rudeness
- October 2010 - Citizen complaint of rudeness
You can see the documents below.