(WXYZ) — As the coronavirus is spreading across the country, and Michigan, a stay-at-home order has been placed on the state, meaning everyone must remain at home unless they're considered essential employees.
There are very limited circumstance for people to leave the home such as grocery shopping and while out in public, they must adhere to social distancing rules.
Read more about the stay-at-home order:
- Answering the most frequently asked questions about Michigan's stay-at-home order
- Who and what is exempt from Michigan's stay-at-home order
- Read the full executive order
The order will remain in effect until at least April 13.
The order extends to all Michigan schools. However, Gov. Gretchen Whiter has said it's unlikely kids will return to school this year.
Speaking to WWJ Newsradio 950, Whitmer said "We are working diligently to come up with a plan to meet the needs of our kids. I think anyone who's watching what is happening globally with this pandemic knows it's probably very unlikely they're going to get back into school before the end of the year."
The metroparks will remain open for hiking, biking, running, walking, or just enjoying nature, but people are reminded to social distance and stay six-feet away from each other.
Programming, playgrounds, park offices, interpretive centers, restrooms and more are closed, and the opening of golf courses is delayed until April 13.
Major events canceled:
We've compiled a list of local events:
- 2020 Detroit Auto Show canceled
- 2020 Detroit Movement Festival, which was originally scheduled for Memorial weekend, has been moved to the weekend of Sept. 11 through 13.
- Zac Brown Band at Little Caesars Arena was Saturday, March 14 has been canceled all together
- Motor City Comic Con, scheduled for mid-may has been postponed
- Little Big Town at the Fox Theatre, March 12, postponed to Oct. 1, 2020
- Ann Arbor Monroe Street Fair -- Scheduled for April 4 and postponed for the fall
- Monster Jam at Ford Field postponed from March 14-15 to July 25-26
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra canceling or rescheduling all public events through April 5
- Detroit City FC home opener on March 21, postponed
- Blake Shelton concert at Little Caesars Arena on March 21, postponed
- 2020 Michigan Diversity Career Fair on April 2, canceled
- Dear Evan Hansen at the Fisher Theatre from March 25 - April 5
- Rolling Stones show on June 10 postponed
- NCAA Frozen Four at Little Caesars Arena will move forward with only essential staff and limited family (April 9-11)
- IIHF Uunder 18 World Championships
- MLB Spring Training games, Opening Days pushed back at least two weeks
- 2020 Olympics in Tokyo