An online threat involving Cass Tech High School is raising fears among students and faculty, but school won't be canceled today.
Detroit Public Schools updated all students, parents and faculty via email Wednesday night. They say they're confident no one is in danger.
DPS tells us a threat on the social media app Kik led to a thorough investigation. They released the following statement:
Detroit Public Schools takes all threats made against its schools extremely seriously. Upon being made aware of the social media threat this morning, DPSPD immediately dispatched an Officer, who is assigned to the FBI Task Force, over to Cass to conduct an investigation. It has been determined that this was not a credible threat and poses no danger to Cass' students and staff. What the DPSPD Officer told building administration was that the District takes all threats very seriously and conducts thorough investigations into every allegation. DPSPD is investigating several Cass students as suspects in the distribution of this non-credible threat. As a part of our threat protocol, DPSPD will pay special attention to Cass over the next two days. We strongly encourage our staff and our students to report to school as normal tomorrow and Friday, and to share any additional information regarding threats of this nature with DPSPD or school administration. All suspects involved will be prosecuted at the highest level for this unlawful action.
A school police officer at Cass Tech high who's part of a federal task force identified the male student Wednesday and concluded there was no credible threat.
Detroit Federation of Teachers Interim President Ivy Bailey says her teachers and staff are still understandably worried.
So far, we don't know if the teenage student will be charged or how he’ll be punished by the school.
Meantime, security for the next two days will be enhanced out of an abundance of caution, with students and staff urged to attend school today.