Report details what happened during inmate's alleged killing of Wayne County Sheriff's corporal

Posted at 3:29 PM, Sep 17, 2020
and last updated 2020-09-17 18:33:52-04

(WXYZ) — 7 Action News has obtained a report that details what happened inside the Wayne County Jail when an inmate allegedly killed a Wayne County Sheriff's deputy.

Related: Union: Wayne County corporal's 16-hour shift contributed to his murder

The investigator's report is for a Detroit police request for warrant, charging Deandre Williams with first-degree murder in the death of Wayne County Sheriff's Corporal Bryant Searcy.

Related: Wayne Co. Corporal Searcy was 'consummate professional,' well-loved by coworkers

The report details inmate interviews conducted by DPD and Michigan State Police, and the review of surveillance video inside the jail.

Searcy, an 18-year veteran of the force, was allegedly attacked and killed by Williams just after 10 p.m. on Sept. 2.

According to the report, Searcy was locking down Ward 404 inside the jail just after 10 p.m. while another officer was locking down Ward 406 inside the jail. Searcy was alone when he was attacked, and lockdowns and rounds are supposed to be conducted in tandem.

It's believed that Williams used something to block the doorjamb, which allowed him to get out of his cell and attack Searcy.

The report states that the other deputy was heading to assist Searcy, but when he entered the ward, he saw Searcy lying face down underneath the table near Cell 5 with a blood trail coming from his head. That officer pulled the duress alarm before making sure the cells were locked, and others arrived to give medical aid to Searcy, who was unresponsive.

When checking the inmates after the attack, another corporal found Williams had blood underneath his fingernails.

Searcy was taken to Detroit Receiving Hospital and was pronounced dead at 10:52 p.m.

Video surveillance details some of what happened

According to the report, investigators reviewed video footage from inside Ward 404, but the video "is of poor quality and skips often, making the times jump."

The report states that inmates are seen on a camera near cell 7 entering their cells at 10:14 p.m. and at 10:15 p.m., an inmate wearing a white shirt, believed to be Williams, is seen struggling with Searcy. That video then jumps to 10:31 p.m.

Another camera that covers cell 9 only shows Searcy struggling with an inmate at 10:15 p.m.

Williams, the suspect, was in cell 1. The camera covering cell 1 shows Williams entering his cell, wearing a white t-shirt, and at 10:14:28 p.m., he bends down near the track of the door. About 30 seconds later, Williams opened his cell door, according to the report, and headed down toward the cell block.

At 10:20 p.m, the report said Williams ran by the frame toward the exit of the ward, but a minute later, he re-entered his cell and closed the door. During the video, the report said he is observed wearing a white t-shirt.

Camera footage from cell 5 shows Williams on top of Searcy underneath a table at 10:15 p.m., according to the report, and Williams leaves and heads toward the ward's exit door at 10:19 p.m.

Inmates say what they saw during interviews

All inmates were ordered out of the ward and in separate cells, and during the move, one inmate said Williams rigged his door not to lock. The same inmate said he saw Williams put an eraser in the door, and then witnessed Williams throw Searcy to the ground and start choking him.

According to the report, the inmate told investigators that he heard Williams say "go to sleep" to Searcy before grabbing his keys and going toward the exit door. The inmate then said Williams heard deputies coming and he ran back to the cell. He said he saw blood on Williams' shirt, and noticed Williams washing his hands and clipping his fingernails.

The inmate also said he heard Williams in his cell say, "I just choked that b**** out."

Another inmate, according to the report, was housed in cell 3. The inmate said Williams came up behind Searcy and started fighting him, but Searcy was yelling for help and losing the fight. The inmate told investigators that Williams choked Searcy with his hands and a headlock, and tied Searcy's hands with Searcy's headphones.

According to the report, the inmate told investigators Williams said he was given an order to start something because people are fed up with being in jail for so long without a court hearing.

The inmate also said he tried to help Searcy, and that inmates were flushing toilets and turning on the TV to try and get help to him.

Eventually, Williams was taken into custody and transported to the Detroit Detention Center.

Investigators believe that his shirt with blood on it was possibly flushed in the toilet because it was never recovered.

On Sept. 9, Williams was charged with first-degree murder, murder of a police officer and felony murder. He has also been charged with unarmed robbery and escaping jail through violence.