ALLEN PARK, Mich. (WXYZ) — According to the website kidsandcars.org, 18 children in America have died from being left inside hot cars. The average is 38 deaths a year from heat-related deaths from children trapped inside cars.
There is technology parents can use to set reminders to remember to look in the back seat:
- Most newer 2018 GMC models come with a backseat reminder built into the dashboard of the car.
- Waze allows users to option of turning on a backseat reminder – simply go to the app's settings, then head to reminders and turn it on.
- Kars 4 Kids Safety is available to download for Android users. It will connect to Bluetooth to set off an alarm.
- Parents can buy car seats with alarms built into them.
- Alarms can be found online, like this one on Amazon, that can be strapped onto the seat harness.