(WXYZ) — In the 7 UpFront segment tonight we're talking about the annual NAACP Fight for Freedom Fund Dinner, which is traditionally one of the country's largest fundraisers of its kind.
It's back in person after being disrupted last year due to COVID-19, but things are still different.
Joining us to talk about it and the changes that will be in place when the event happens at the TCF Center this Sunday is Reverend Dr. Wendell Anthony.
You can see the full interview in the video player above.
"It may certainly shrink the quantity, but certainly not the quality of the dinner and the event," Anthony says. "We are accustomed to having 10,000 people, but obviously COVID has said 'no, you can't do that'." So now, what we are doing is we've reduced that number and we're down to about 1,200. It's still going to be a very exciting event. We're going to be following all the protocols that are according to the COVID standards. We will still have a number of daises, it's still going to be exciting. We're still going to be talking about the issues and the causes for civil and human rights. We're excited about the guests that are coming. Secretary of HUD Marcia Fudge is our keynote speaker, good time to come to Detroit with all the things happening in housing, flooding, and all that kind of stuff. It's a good time to have the Housing Secretary come here because maybe we can get some kind of hook-up. You never know. Maybe something good will happen from that."