(WXYZ) — Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said she would think about blocking President Trump from hosting a rally in the state amid the coronavirus pandemic.
According to the Associated Press, Whitmer "would think very seriously about" trying to block the president from hosting a rally in Michigan if he wanted to.
“We know that congregating without masks, especially at an indoor facility, is the worst thing to do in the midst of a global pandemic,” Whitmer said in an interview before the Oklahoma event, conceding that she wasn’t aware of the specific legal tools she had available to block a prospective Trump rally. “I just know we have limitations on the number of people that can gather and that we’re taking this seriously.”
.@oaklandu Political Science Prof. David Dulio weighs-in on how efforts to stop a Trump rally in Michigan would be interpreted. We're live on @wxyzdetroit starting at 5 a.m. pic.twitter.com/WsyA2RO6jX— Jenn Schanz (@JennSchanzWXYZ) June 23, 2020
Related: President Trump comments on Detroit's murder rate during Tulsa speech
It comes on the heels of the president's rally in Tulsa over the weekend. A majority of people at the rally were not social distance and weren't wearing masks.
The state also currently doesn't allow indoor gatherings of more than 50 people, or outdoor gatherings of more than 250 people, according to an executive order signed by Whtimer earlier this month.
Most of the state is in phase 4 of the MI Safe Start Plan, while the Traverse City area and Upper Peninsula are in phase 5. Whitmer said she hopes to move the rest of the state into phase 5 by the Fourth of July.