NEW HAVEN, Mich. (WXYZ) — It was a scary moment for a trick-or-treater in New Haven. Jojo Olko almost ate a candy bar that she says had a nail in it.
Michelle Olko took her 11-year-old daughter to the Amherst subdivision in New Haven to trick-or-treat on Halloween. It is a neighborhood they’ve been going to for the past 10 years.
Michelle said, “It’s big and she gets lots of candy.”
Jojo was a clown for Halloween but isn’t clowning when it comes to safety.
Michelle told Jojo to keep an eye out for tampered or opened candy, and go a step further.
“Just this year I told her the break her candies apart, instead of just biting into it right away, in case there was something in it.”
Sunday morning Jojo was about to bite into a fun-size Kit Kat bar.
Michelle said, “Then two minutes later she was coming to me and saying there was a needle in it.”
“I was just scared because who would want to eat something but you’re scared somethings in it,” Jojo explained.
They contacted the Macomb County Sheriffs Department and the deputy informed them it wasn’t a needle, it was a finishing nail. He also found the hole in the wrapper.
The mom and daughter can’t believe someone could do such a thing.
“I never ever thought it would happen to me,” Michelle said. “Just to hurt somebody which isn’t right.”
She posted the photo on Facebook to warn other parents, but she was met with some negative comments.
“It’s not fake. It’s real. It happened. It was stuck in there when the officer came to take it out like it had been in there for a while.”
While the authorities investigate, the family is tossing out the whole stash of sweets.
“I really don’t want to eat any more of my candy and she wants me to throw it away,” Jojo added.
The Macomb County Sheriff’s Department says no other reports of tampered candy have been filed with them.
They say it’s a good reminder for parents to check their children’s candy.