NewsRegionMacomb County


Video released by police refutes allegations protestor was strip-searched

Police lights
Posted at 11:23 PM, Oct 26, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-26 23:23:49-04

SHELBY TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WXYZ) — New video has released by Shelby Township Police Department after multiple arrests over the weekend during a protest.

About 100 protesters took to the streets to call for the township’s police chief to be fired.

The group Detroit Will Breathe says one of the protesters taken into custody was strip-searched by police.

The alarming allegations are now being questioned after authorities released the footage.

Half of the protesters arrested are also facing felony charges and faced a judge today.

The video captured from an in-car police camera shows a female protester free herself from flex-ties and strip down to her bra and underwear.

On Monday, Detroit Will Breathe sent out a tweet that said the protester was stripped in the street by police.

Hours later Shelby Township police dept. Released the video.

"It's an erroneous and false allegation," says Deputy Chief Mark Coil.

For two straight days, protesters have picketed outside the Macomb County Prosecutor's office. They demand charges be dropped against the 10 demonstrators who were arrested during an anti-police brutality protest in Shelby Township over the weekend.

Back in June, the township’s police chief, Robert Shelide, was suspended for 30 days after making inflammatory remarks against Black Lives Matter protesters on social media.

"As long as Shelby is a problem we will be here," says protestor Sammie Lewis.

Out of the 10 arrested, five are now facing felony charges that include assault, resisting arrest, and obstructing a police officer. Among those arrested was Tristan Taylor, a leader and founder of the Detroit Will Breathe group.

His niece Nakia Wallace says they were peacefully marching for civil rights when police brutalized them and violated their first amendment rights.

Those five protesters facing felony charges were each given a $5,000 bond.

Police say the protest escalated when a group of demonstrators walked into the street.