Actions

4 firefighters, 2 residents hospitalized after being exposed to gas fumes in home

Posted at 2:51 PM, May 15, 2018
and last updated 2018-05-15 17:52:00-04

UPDATE: Three of the four firefighters have been released from the hospital as of 5 p.m. Tuesday. The last firefighter is expected to be released sometime this evening, police say. 

The condition of the two contractors remains unknown at this time. 

___

Four Canton Firefighters are doing well after being evaluated at a hospital following a report of suspected gas fumes at a home on the 46000 block of Mornington in Canton. 

At 12:45 p.m., firefighters arrived at the home to find a man unconscious. The man and another person inside of the home were removed by first responders and transported to a local hospital for evaluation. 

Both men were contractors working at the residence on a home improvement project, not residents of the home. 

According to police, the contractors were in the basement of the home using a power saw that was releasing carbon monoxide gas. 

One of the responding firefighters was overcome by fumes during the rescue and was evaluated at a local hospital, along with three other responding firefighters. 

DTE Energy was on the scene and has determined the gas leak is at an isolated residence. 

The condition of the two men inside the home is not yet available.