An Allen Park has been charged in connection with firing a handgun at a police officer, along with other crimes.
On June 11 on Sumpter Road in Belleville, Christopher Willoughby, 44, was observed by police with a flushed face and bloodshot eyes, driving his car erratically.
When a Sumpter Township officer attempted to conduct a traffic stop, Willoughby fled in his car as the officer pursued him in a marked police car.
A second officer, in another marked police car, also pursued Willoughby. He then allegedly took out a handgun and fired approximately five times at the first officer.
Willoughby drove away from the scene for approximately three miles, when his car collided with the second police car, ending the pursuit, authorities say.
The officer in the second car was able to place Willoughby under arrest. In addition, it is alleged that Willoughby was driving while intoxicated.
He has been charged with the following:
- Assault with Intent to Murder
- Assault with Intent to Do Great Bodily Harm Less Than Murder
- Flee and Elude, third degree
- Three counts of carrying a concealed weapon
- Operating while Intoxicated, third degree
- Two counts of Felonious Assault
- Felony Firearm
- Two counts of Possession of Loaded Firearm in Vehicle
- Possession of Weapon Under the Influence