SOUTHFIELD, MICH (WXYZ) — Unstuffed Cabbage Soup
* 1 large onion, diced
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 lb. lean ground beef
* ½ lb. lean ground turkey
* ¾ cup uncooked long grain brown wild rice
* 1 medium head cabbage, chopped (core removed)
* 2 cups carrots, diced
* 1.5 cups celery, diced
* 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
* 2 tbsp. tomato paste
* 6 cups beef broth
* 3 cups V8 or other vegetable juice
* 1 tsp. paprika
* 1 tsp. thyme
* 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
* 1 bay leaf
* Salt and pepper, to taste
* Fresh lemon wedges
Instructions 1. In a large pot, brown onion, garlic, turkey and beef. Drain any fat. 2. Stir in chopped cabbage, carrots and celery. Let cook until slightly softened (about 3 minutes). 3. Add all remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer on low until rice is fully cooked (about 30 minutes). 4. Let simmer to develop flavor for as long as you want. Just don’t reduce all the liquid away. Remove bay leaf. 5. Serve with a lemon wedge to squeeze over bowl of hot soup. Enjoy!
Healthier Irish Soda Bread
* 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
* 2 tbsp. organic coconut palm sugar
* 1 tsp. baking soda
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 2 tbsp. cold butter
* 1 cup buttermilk
* ½ cup dried currants
1. In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking soda and salt; cut in butter with a fork.
2. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Fold in currants.
3. Knead on a floured surface 8-10 times.
4. Shape into a 7-in. round loaf; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
5. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Delicious when served with unstuffed cabbage soup or Irish beef stew. Enjoy!
Rainbow Fruit Platter
* 1 cup of strawberries, sliced
* 1 nectarine, peeled, seedless and sliced (or, depending on seasonal produce, cantaloupe or oranges)
* 1/2 cup of mango, peeled, seedless and diced
* 1/3 cup of pineapple, peeled and diced
* 1 kiwi, peeled and cut in little chunks
* 1 container green or purple grapes
* 1 banana bundle
* 2 Tbsp. of blueberries
* 2 blackberries
1. Evenly distribute fruit of choice on the tray in a rainbow formation (red, orange, yellow, green blue, purple)
2. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
For more health tips and information, visit