SOUTHFIELD, MICH (WXYZ) — February is also known as American Heart Month, which is dedicated to increasing awareness about heart disease (number one killer of men in women in the U.S.) and advocating for ways to incorporate more heart-healthy habits in everyday life.
Grace Derocha, registered dietitian, and health coach with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, stopped by Broadcast House to show 7 Action News viewers some simple, delicious, heart-healthy recipes they can try at home. They're posted below. Enjoy!
Pesto Salmon and Veggies Foil Pack
· 4 (about 4 oz.) skinless salmon fillets
· 1 lb. (medium/thin) asparagus, tough ends trimmed
· 3 tsp. olive oil, divided
· Salt and freshly ground black pepper
· 4 Tbsp. pesto, homemade or store bought
· 4 tsp. fresh lemon juice
· 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
1. Cut four pieces of aluminum foil about 14 inches long.
2. Toss asparagus with 2 tsp. olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste, divide into 4 servings and layer in center of each piece of foil.
3. Season both sides of salmon with salt and pepper.
4. Layer salmon over asparagus and drizzle 1 tsp. lemon juice over each fillet.
5. Then spread 1 Tbsp. of pesto on top of each salmon filet.
6. Toss pepper(s) with remaining 1 tsp. olive oil and season lightly with salt. Spread over each salmon fillet.
7. Wrap sides of foil in and roll and crimp edge to seal, then wrap ends upward to seal (don't wrap too tightly - you want the heat to be able to circulate well, so there should be an air pocket).
9. Cook in an oven or on a grill. If cooking in oven, place foil packs side by side on a baking sheet and bake in a 400 degree preheated oven until salmon has cooked through, about 20-25 minutes. If cooking on the grill, place foil pack on medium-high heat grill for about 15-20 minutes until cooked properly. Enjoy! For more recipes and health tips/information, visit https://www.ahealthiermichigan.org/
· 2 avocados, pitted
· 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
· 1/2 cup chopped fresh mozzarella
· 1/3 cup black olives, chopped
· ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
· 2 tsp. Italian seasoning to taste
· 1-3 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar to taste
· 1-3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
· Kosher salt, to taste
· Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Scoop out avocados, leaving a small border. Dice avocado and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, toss diced avocado with tomatoes, mozzarella, black olives, basil, Italian seasoning, vinegar, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Divide salad among 4 avocado halves. Enjoy!
For more recipes and health tips/information, visit https://www.ahealthiermichigan.org/