SOUTHFIELD, MICH (WXYZ) — Blueberry Cheesecake Bread Pudding
· 6 heaping cups stale whole grain bread cubes
· 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
· ½ cup sliced almonds
· 3 cups whole milk
· 4 eggs
· 2 Tbsp. melted butter
· 1/3 cup maple syrup
· Pinch of salt
· 1 package room temperature cream cheese
· 2 Tbsp. sugar
· 1 tsp. lemon zest
· 1 tsp. lemon juice
1. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine milk, eggs, melted butter, maple syrup and salt and whisk until well combined.
3. In a small bowl, make the cheesecake filling by mashing the cream cheese with a fork and then add the sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice and stir until incorporated.
4. To assemble the pudding: layer half the bread cubes in the bottom of the pan and top with 1 cup of blueberries. Spread the cheesecake mixture on top of the berries in an even layer. Top with remaining bread cubes, followed by the second cup of blueberries. Pour milk / egg mixture slowly and evenly over the top, making sure all the bread gets moistened (press down if necessary).
5. Let sit for at least 1 hour (or up to 24 hours) in the refrigerator.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Sprinkle almonds on top and then cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
8. Remove cover and continue baking for an additional 20-25 minutes, until the top is puffed and golden and the pudding barely moves when you shake the dish. Set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes. Enjoy warm!
Blueberry and Corn Salsa
· 1.5 cups of blueberries
· 1 cup of corn, either fresh, frozen or canned and drained
· 1/3 to ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely minced
· 1 jalapeno, finely chopped with seeds and membrane removed
· 1 tsp. lime zest
· 2-3 Tbsp. lime juice (about 2 limes)
· 1 tsp. hot sauce, or to taste
· 1 tsp. salt, or to taste
· ½ tsp. pepper, or to taste
1. Mix all ingredients into large bowl.
2. You can serve immediately or can keep it for up to five days in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
*Note: the salsa will become waterier with time*
Black Bean and Pineapple Salsa
• 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1.5 cups fresh diced pineapple
• 2-3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
• ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
• 1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced
• 2 green onions, chopped
• 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2-3 Tbsp. lime juice
• Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and toss to mix well.
2. Refrigerate until serving, Serve with tortilla chips.
Matcha Pistachio Energy Bites
· ½ cup raw cashews
· ¼ cup white chocolate chips
· ½ cup raw pistachios shelled
· 12 Medjool dates, pitted
· ¼ cup shredded unsweetened shredded coconut
· 2 tsp. matcha powder
· 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1. Place all ingredients into the food processor.
2. Process for one minute or until well blended and fully combined.
3. Roll into about 14 balls.
4. Refrigerate for 15 minutes before serving.