1 woman, 2 kids suffer carbon monoxide poisoning after using generator indoors

Safety precautions while using generators
Posted at 1:45 PM, Mar 09, 2017
and last updated 2017-03-09 17:14:51-05

A 22-year-old woman and two children, ages 6 and 1, were transported to the hospital after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning. 

The home had lost power and generator was being used inside the home. 

The conditions of the victims has not yet been released.

The incident took place at a home on Montrose Street in Detroit. 

Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas that can cause symptoms such as nausea, dizziness, headache, severe drowsiness and a flu-like feeling.

If you are going to use a generator, the Detroit Fire Department urges the following precautions:

Never operate a generator indoors or in an unventilated area. The exhaust contains deadly carbon monoxide fumes.

Do not store gasoline for a generator indoors.

Gasoline should be stored in an approved, non-glass safety container. Extinguish all flames or cigarettes when handling gasoline or the generator.

Always have a fully charged, approved fire extinguisher located near the generator.

Make sure you have enough fuel to run a generator for an extended period of time; during a power outage, gas stations may be closed.

Never refuel a generator while it is running. Shut it off and let it cool for 10 minutes before refueling to minimize the danger of fire.

Parts of the generator are very hot during operation. Avoid contact especially with the muffler area. Keep children away at all times.

Protect the generator from rain and other moisture sources to prevent electrocution.

When not in use, store the generator in a dry location such as a garage or shed.