10-year-old Detroit girl shot with a BB gun while playing at the park

Posted at 4:24 AM, Aug 12, 2019
and last updated 2019-08-12 04:24:00-04

DETROIT (WXYZ) — My'Shawn Jennings is recovering from two BB gun shots to her knees. She was hit while playing at the park near her home Thursday on the city's west side.

Now, the 10-year-old is afraid to return to the park at the corner of Lesure and Pembroke; a place she's playing for years.

“I don’t want to go to that park anymore," My'Shawn told 7 Action News.

She said she saw two teenage boys there Thursday while she was waiting for her friend; one appeared to have a couple BB guns with him.

My'Shawn said he aimed the gun at her, and she instantly felt burning in her knees.

“I didn’t even look down. I just started riding away screaming help and fire.”

My’Shawn lives just a block from the park, where she described the shooter to her dad and older brother.

Leshawn Jennings, My'Shawn's dad, said he and his son went outside in hopes of finding the shooter.

“I got out just to confront the young man, he was whipping the gun out again and I just grabbed him, and was like you got a gun? We just gonna hold him until the police come," he said.

They filed a police report and Leshawn Jennings thought the nightmare was over, until he said two men came knocking on his door.

One of the men was armed according to Jennings, and wanted to know why he went to the police after the BB gun incident.

"Why would you go to person’s house like that?"

"Look at the domino effect. What if those guys would have just killed me and my wife standing there on that porch over kids actions," he said.

Jennings, who’s been a victim of gun violence himself, said all he wanted was for the teenager to be held accountable and for his daughter to feel safe.

“She shouldn’t have to fear to go to the park. She shouldn’t have to fear to go ride her bike. She’s 10-years-old.”

Detroit police are investigating the BB gun shooting. It's unclear what if any charges the teenager is facing.

Jennings said he also called 911 when the two men came to his home afterwards. He said no one showed up to his home.

7 Action News has reached out to the Detroit Police Department for more information.