Armed hero who captured Ortonville suspect: 'I would just like to have a pizza'

Posted at 10:08 AM, Nov 16, 2017
and last updated 2017-11-16 11:08:51-05

The man who's being hailed a hero by the community for pulling out his gun and capturing the Ortonville shooting suspect did it on the same day as his 15th wedding anniversary. 

“Considering it’s my 15th anniversary, I would just like to have a pizza and another martini —that’s about it,” the resident who didn't want to reveal his name told 7 Action News after the ordeal was over. 


Michael Quigley, 34, was taken into police custody after the resident found him inside his van on Rattlesnake Lane in Ortonville.

The resident said while he was outside alerting neighbors that the SWAT team would be coming through, he noticed that the windows of a van on his property were foggy.

He said he approached the vehicle, armed with a gun, and found the suspect underneath a blanket in the backseat. 

He said he pulled Quigley out and told him to get on the ground. 

"I said, 'It's OK, it's over.' And he said, 'OK' and got out," he said. 

The man said that after a phone call to 911, SWAT came running out of the woods from every direction.

He said Quigley was "very compliant" and described him as "a bit disheveled." 

"He had been on the run for I don't know how many hours, he just looked tired," he said.

Police say Quigley had no reported injuries.

The 34-year-old is accused of opening fire on the pair around 8 p.m. Tuesday at an apartment on Village Court. 

The man and woman were both shot in the head and are currently listed in stable condition at a nearby hospital, according to authorities. 

Quigley fled the scene on foot and after an extensive search, law enforcement found his cell phone and weapon near the apartment complex, according to police. 

We're told the woman recently filed for divorce from Quigley on November 7 and was trying to get a personal protection order against him. The man that was shot was the woman's friend, according to neighbors and police. 

A witness says the friend is the father of a 3-year-old girl who was in the apartment at the time of the shooting. She was reportedly uninjured. 

Now, the entire village of Ortonville is breathing a sigh of relief after the nearly 24-hour manhunt has come to an end. 

"It's not an option anymore, it's what you have to do -- it's not paranoia, it's preparedness," said the man who found Quigley.