Detroit police: Officer Tased after unruly people interfere in traffic stop

Posted at 12:17 PM, Jul 07, 2017
and last updated 2017-07-07 12:17:22-04

Detroit Police Chief James Craig is expected to provide an update after an officer was tasered early Thursday morning in southwest Detroit.


1:25 p.m. Thursday

Detroit Police Commander Whitney Walton provided an update on video that shows chaos unfolding that ended with an officer being Tasered.


Commander Walton told reporters that police officers were approaching a vehicle with young men who were smoking marijuana. According to police, that's when family members nearby on a porch began interfering in police work.

One of the young men on the porch reportedly charged at an officer and police force was used to subdue him. Commander Walton says the situation turned into something it never needed to be because of the family members interfering.

“You should never interfere with an officer doing their job," said Commander Walton. "You observe the traffic stop, if you think there’s something wrong you can report that after, you can use a phone… you can film it if you think there’s something… but rushing up on an officer - we saw happened in New York City last night - officers don’t know what is happening… if you rush up and you’re not involved you never know what could happen.”

11:59 a.m.

Witnesses are now speaking out after an officer was Tasered earlier this morning on the city's southwest side. 

Tineka Smith is claiming police started hitting her son while she was filming during an incident. She says someone Tased the officer to get him off of her son. 

“…And I’m like please get off my son, please get off my son, they would not get off of him. And so as Erica was watching, and is terrified, she panicked and just ran and Tasered the cops - the one cop - so they would get off of him and chase her to save his life,” said Smith. 

Police told us earlier that they were investigating a situation near Dennis and Clippert when the officer was Tasered by a 27-year-old woman who walked up from behind. 

Video Smith provided shows the chaos surrounding the situation. There is a lot of swearing and you hear an officer yell before the camera gets knocked to the ground. 

Detroit police say they are standing by their original narrative of how everything happened. 

7 Action News will be asking the department about body cam footage to try to shed light on the incident. 

Detroit police say they will be holding a news conference around 1:15 p.m. to provide more information. 


5:18 a.m.

Detroit police say an officer was Tasered by a 27-year-old woman early this morning on the city's southwest side. 

The officer was responding to a call near Dennis Street and Clippert around 12:15 a.m. when the incident happened. 

Police say the woman walked up from behind the officer and Tasered their arm. While the officer was recovering, the woman reportedly fled on foot before eventually being caught by the officer. 

The officer did not need medical attention, according to police.