News

Actions

Dog has brush with death after eating ingredient used in brewing beer

Posted: 11:32 PM, Aug 22, 2016
Updated: 2016-08-23 13:11:13Z

Jason Schlaff, co-owner of  Farmington Brewing Company , knows that hops are poisonous to dogs, and that's why when his dog, Booker, suddenly became ill during a visit to his father's house, Schlaff quickly realized that he had to act fast if Booker was going to survive.

Hops are the flowers of the hop plant, and they are one of the ingredients used in brewing beer.

If ingested by a dog, hops can cause malignant hyperthermia, an extreme elevation in body temperature. Hops can sometimes be toxic to cats as well.

Schlaff rushed Booker to the Animal Emergency Center in Novi where veterinarians had Dantrolene, the antidote needed to save him.

Click on the video above to see a warning from Dr. Heather Robertson and Schlaff.

On Sunday, Aug. 28, at Farmington Brewing Company, Schlaff has organized "Pints for Pups" with Michigan Chivers to help raise money the Michigan Humane Society. From 2 pm to 5 pm, the microbrewery will donate a dollar of every purchase to MHS.

Farmington Brewing Company is located at 33336 Grand River Avenue in Farmington.