The fire department urges caution this holiday weekend.
The unusually dry climate and lack of rainfall had dried out local vegetation, raising the fire risk.
Charcoal grills, fire pits, smoking materials and fireworks all pose threats to safety.
The fire department offers the following tips to reduce fire risk:
- Charcoal grills should only be started with approved charcoal starter fluid. Don’t add any additional starter fluid or flammable liquid once the fire is going.
- Place and use grills away from structures such as homes or sheds. Douse any coals with water before throwing them away.
- Make sure firs pits are contained, away from vegetation and covered with a mesh cap to reduce the spread of embers. Keep a bucket of water or a hose to extinguish the fire completely before leaving the area.
- Dispose of cigarettes, cigars and other smoking materials in a fire proof container.
- Remember that all fireworks burn very hot. Use caution and douse used fireworks in a bucket of water when finished.
- Keep control of any fireworks you use and know where they are going. Watch out for debris and any fires that may result.