We're talking about simple mistakes you can make during mealtime that can cause you to gain weight.
However, these are easy mistakes to correct.
Many of us are guilty of making these mistakes that can pack on unwanted pounds. But they can be easily fixed once you’re aware of them.
The first mistake is:
- Avoiding healthy fats like avocados, nuts and seeds. They may be high in calories, but they are full of nutrients your body needs. Just eat them in moderation.
- Eating out of a carry-out box. It’s a bit hard to gage portion size and many dishes are served in large containers. You may end up eating more than you intended.
- Thinking you’re hungry when your body is actually thirsty. To fix this, drink a glass of water 15-20 minutes before you decide to eat something.
- Too many cocktails at dinner. An occasional glass of wine has health benefits, but make sure to put that bottle away as too many glasses will add on extra pounds.
- Surfing social media while eating. Distracted while eating means you’re not paying attention to your body and more likely to eat more.
Question: Losing weight is not easy - what prescriptions can you share with us?
Many adults see weight creeping on as the years pass by. Some of this is due to the proportion of our muscle decreasing while the fat increases. And this shift slows down metabolism. But there are steps you can take to lose or maintain your weight:
Partha’s RX for weight loss:
- Stay Away from Trendy Diets that promise quick and easy weight loss. They’re not realistic and don’t work long-term.
- Don’t Under-Eat. Your metabolism slows and you lose muscle mass.
- Don’t Skip Meals. You want to feel good during the day and not suffer. Regular meals keep you energized and focused.
- Exercise. Start off with 5 minutes and increase in frequency and duration as you get stronger. Aim for 20 minutes three times a day.
Question: You always talk about a lifestyle change, can you elaborate on this?
A lifestyle change means making healthy choices all year round, not just being good for 2 weeks or 2 months. To lose weight and sustain that weight loss, you have to change your thinking. Eat in moderation and when making food choices, think objectively about what it does nutritionally for you.