Kelly Stafford says she's back in the hospital after undergoing brain surgery

Posted at 2:16 PM, Apr 24, 2019
and last updated 2019-04-24 18:20:55-04

(WXYZ) — Kelly Stafford, the wife of Detroit Lions Quarterback Matthew Stafford, said she is back in the hospital just days after being released following brain surgery to remove a tumor.

According to a post on Instagram, Kelly said the pain got so bad that she couldn't keep anything down and ended up in the emergency room on Wednesday morning, and will be kept overnight to monitor in hopes of going home. The post reads:

"A little update:
I thought I could do it. They told me tapering off the steroids was going to be very difficult. The first picture was yesterday when I was on what I thought was my last day of steroids. I thought I could power through the pain and massive headaches that were challenging me throughout the day. I figured i could pull my strength from one of the strongest people I know, matthew. I told myself the pain would succumb to me, I wouldn’t succumb to it.
I was so wrong. The pain got so far ahead of me I couldn’t keep anything down, including meds. I ended up in the ER very early this morning, back on steroids and pain medication. At first, I felt like I had failed, like I couldn’t handle it.. but what I really failed at was listening to my own body. A lesson I feel like I am going to have to keep reminding myself of.
Thank you again for everything. I just wanted to give a little update. They will keep me here overnight just to monitor in hopes of going home in the morning."

Henry Ford Hospital Neurosurgeon Dr. Jack Rock says, "It’s almost certainly not a bad problem, it’s just uncomfortable, but it will get better.”

“It might not be as fast getting better as she was hoping, but she has to keep the big picture in mind. Everything is working the tumor has been removed.”

Earlier this month, Kelly announced that she would be having surgery to remove a tumor," Rock added. "She had the surgery last week and was released on Easter Sunday.

According to the post, she began to notice things were different within the last year, and would get dizzy or off balance.

"Things that I had been doing my entire life were now, all of a sudden, difficult," the post reads.

She said she then kept getting vertigo after January and they went to the ER, but all signs were that she was fine.

Eventually, after several vertigo spells, the Lions' team doctor suggest she get an MRI of the brain to rule everything major out.

"A few days later we were hit with the results, she wrote. "I had a tumor sitting on some of my cranial nerves. The medical term they used was an acoustic neuroma or vestibular schwannoma All I heard was brain tumor & that they had to do surgery to take it out.. so that is what we are going to do & we believe we found the best doctor to do it. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t completely terrified of brain surgery."