Man electrocuted after coming in contact with downed wire in Detroit alley
10:32 AM, Aug 11, 2017
5:13 PM, Aug 11, 2017
DETROIT (WXYZ) - A man walking through an alley was electrocuted by a downed wire Friday morning on Detroit's east side, according to police.
It happened on Dobel Street.
A nearby homeowner woke up to smoke and the smell of burning. He walked around his garage and saw a person on fire.
The victim was reportedly not moving when that homeowner called 911. Firefighters found him dead on the scene.
DTE Energy released the following statement:
DTE Energy has confirmed that an individual walking through an alley on the east side of Detroit this morning died after coming into contact with a power line that had recently fallen. Our thoughts and prayers are with the individual’s family and friends. We are working with local authorities to investigate the circumstances surrounding this tragic incident.
This is a sad reminder of the importance of staying at least 20 feet away from any downed wire. Always assume that it is live and call DTE, or use DTE’s mobile app, to report that it is down.
Like Us. We Like You.
Get local stories delivered directly to your newsfeed.