Fight for refund after fraudulent tax return

Posted at 5:44 PM, Feb 19, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-19 21:40:20-05

It's tax season and as people are busy filing, there are also others plotting.

One man says he was the victim of tax fraud last year and he's still waiting to get back his money from his return.

John Curzytek says someone has been using his information to get money back from the state for four-years. Now, he's working hard to get his money back and protect his identity.

The 64-year-old is recently retired. But, these days he spends his time wondering how much of his money was taken.

He says he was contacted by the state last year about someone using his information to get money.

Since then the $218 he was supposed to get back from the state has yet to be seen. And to make matters worse he says he was told it was going on for four-years.

We reached out to the IRS. They say be alert to possible tax-related identity theft. If you're contacted about more than one tax return filed using your Social Security number, if you owe additional tax, refund offset, or have had collection actions taken against you for a year you did not file a tax return. And, if IRS records show you received income from a job you didn't work.

If you believe you're a victim of tax fraud, the IRS says you should file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission right away, contact one of the three major credit bureaus to alert them, and, complete IRS form14039, which is an Identity Theft Affidavit.

We reached out to the state department of treasury today. They told us they couldn't discuss tax information based on the revenue act.

John says the last time he talked with state, they told him his check was processed, so it should only be a matter of time before he gets his money.