Warren fire commissioner proposes fines, possible jail for those who grill in their garages

WARREN, Mich. (WXYZ) - Several fires, some of them deadly, has forced the Fire Commissioner for the city of Warren to come up with a way to try to help better protect its people and their property. Primarily, when it comes to grilling, cooking indoors and out.

This was a blaze that began in this garage. A deadly accident that should have never happened. A young girl, a teenager lost her life for nothing. 

According to Fire Commissioner Wilburt “Skip” McAdams, the innocent resident died as a result of the family cooking in the garage with a makeshift grilling devise.

The commissioner would like the current ordinance on the books to be amended to prohibiting open flame cooking devices in residential garages or other accessory structures. Commissioner McAdams believes the language in the proposed new ordinance is bolder and has teeth. 

“For me, it's a safety issue. It's a common sense issue. But unfortunately, I've been told many times, that common sense may not be so common. Like most things, you have to have a penalty. Tickets, jail sure those are extreme cases. The goal is to educate people”, says McAdams. 

Warren City Council it set to vote on the proposal ordinance at its next city county meeting. 

Print this article Back to Top