Samsung Note 4 explodes on nightstand next to sleeping Sterling Heights man, sending him to hospital

Posted at 10:13 PM, Dec 02, 2016
and last updated 2016-12-02 23:22:20-05

Bayar Karim describes a terrifying night on Wednesday, after he claims his Samsung note 4 exploded while he was in bed.

We're told it wasn't charging, and was face up, before bursting into flames and flipping over.

The nightstand in his bedroom was a charred mess from the flames.

Karim told us, "I thought I was going to die, because of the fire and because of the acid."

He went to the hospital for seven hours, having trouble breathing and hearing from the extremely loud sound the phone made around 8:30 pm.

Firefighters responded to the flames that night.

Karim claims acid from the battery also went flying, burning holes in his sheets, and also in the shirt he had been wearing that night.

He showed 7 Action News the damage to his clothes and bedroom.

He's still deciding what his next move.

Samsung had made national headlines recently, after similar problems with Samsung Galaxy Note 7.

That phone has been banned from commercial flights by the U.S. Department of transportation.