News

Actions

Sub-zero temps raise risk of carbon monoxide poisoning indoors

Here are tips for how to stay safe
carbon monoxide.jpeg
Posted at 11:08 PM, Feb 16, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-16 23:18:24-05

DETROIT (WXYZ) — Metro Detroit is bracing for sub-zero temperatures overnight.

The brutal cold temps are concerning for first responders who said it will significantly increase the risk of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning.

The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning not linked to fires, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized, according to the CDC.

Be careful if you're using gas appliances. HVAC experts said to be sure to clear away snow from exhaust vents of gas appliances on the exterior of your home.

The city of Detroit recommends Carbon Monoxide detectors inside your home.

To request a smoke detector or CO detector, send an email to communityrelations@detroitmi.gov.