The Detroit Red Wings will open the final season at Joe Louis Arena on Monday, Oct. 17 against the Ottawa Senators.
The team is calling it the farewell faceoff, which is all part of the earlier announced farewell season. The rest of the NHL schedule is expected to be released on Tuesday.
During the farewell season, the team he team will celebrate many historic Red Wings games and entertainment acts that have been held during the building's 38-year history.
A preliminary list of events include:
- Celebrations honoring the Stanley Cup Championships and the biggest games held at the Joe
- Alumni celebrations featuring Red Wings greats at The Joe
- Commemorative patch on both the Red Wings home and away jerseys
- Special entertainment performances
- Special ticket design on all Red Wings tickets
- One-of-a-kind giveaways for fans in attendance at Red Wings games
- Social contests for fans world-wide encouraging them to share their favorite memories of The Joe
- Special private event availability for interested guests
The Red Wings have played at The Joe since it opened in 1979 and they have won four Stanley Cups in that time period. They also have made the playoffs in 24 consecutive seasons.